Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Thing 2-What is Web 2.0 and Why Should I Care?

When Web 2.0 evolved after a brainstorming session between Tim O'Reilly and MediaLive Entertainment in 2005, it became clear the the Worldwide Web was in for a big change. We now have Wikipidia rather than Britannica Online in the first generation of the web. We talk of blogs when before it was personal websites, etc. It is a fact that the web is now not just a tool for looking up information, it is a tool for web-based services to help people perform their jobs.

When I think of Library 2.0, I think of how we can change our old habits and evolve the library into something relating to today's Web revolution. We need to get people into the library, just like Web 2.0 kept people from abandoning the web after it seemed to have burst its bubble. In my library space, I see people using the computer stations far more than books, so we need to keep our databases current, and keep upgrading our website so students will go to it for more information. Perhaps we should promote Online Reference Services on our webpage along with the library catalogs and ILL. I like the idea that we could set up a MySpace page and have a student or group of students manage it. I think this would bring in more interactions from the students as well.

No comments: